Sunday, March 3, 2013

Showit United 2013 Conference - Four Seasons Hotel Santa Barbara, CA

Last week, I drove 4 hours up the Coast to Santa Barbara to attend the Showit United 2013 Conference. All I knew about the conference was that a few of the photographers I admired were going to be there and there would be workshops and lectures. I didn't personally know anyone who was going to be there and I just hoped my somewhat outgoing personality could get me through the initial awkwardness that comes with situations like this. 

Well, initial awkwardness aside, it was a fantastic 3 days of learning from and socializing with other photographers from all across the country and the world ! More than 200 photographers in all stages of their career were there to learn and improve their craft and businesses. For me, it really got me thinking about the deeper purposes of my photography and business. How I want to use it to serve my clients and what greater purpose my business has, other than to make money.

I got some great tips on branding and posing from Katelyn James, Lightroom editing shortcuts from Trevor Dayley and Off Camera Lighting instruction from Justin Marantz. I could never have dreamed that so many of the photographers I admire would all be in one place at one time, never mind that they were there the whole time, sitting in the audience with us during the other speakers and having lunch with us every day. These people are some of the kindest and most giving people I have ever met ! And in chatting with several of them, it was great to find out that so many are Christians. I truly believe it was a God thing that I was at the conference this week. He is always so good to surround me with fellow Believers.

One of the most fun events I got to partake in this week was a Styled Yacht Shoot. Here are a few of the images I took during that shoot. 



No comments:

Post a Comment