Tuesday, March 4, 2014

United 2014 Santa Barbara, CA {Escondido Wedding Photographer)

This was my second year attending United in Santa Barbara, CA. It's a photography conference put on by the guys from PASS and Showit. Last year it was less than 200 people and while it doubled in size this year, it still managed to keep it's sense of intimacy.
I hit the road north on Sunday, stopping at LAX to pick up a couple ladies heading my way who were in need of a ride. Natasha from Missouri and Jill from Minnesota. None of us had met before, but this is nothing new at United, where photographers looking to share a bed at the pricey conference hotel just post their need on the United Group Facebook page and the offers come swarming in. I snore. Bad. So I relegated myself to the nearby renovated Motel 6 for $70 per night. I promised myself after last year, that I'd try to be more social, be a joiner and make a concerted effort to meet new people at every turn. Mission accomplished ! It was a fabulous 4 days meeting new people, seeing old faces from last year, learning about posing, shooting and workflow from some of the best photographers in the biz and generally getting and giving lots of hugs. What I love the most about this community of Shoot & Share Photographers is their emphasis on serving each other, their clients and the photographic community as a whole. They selflessly give of their time and talents to help other photographers and their community as a whole. It's not about competition and success, although, success does seem to follow ! After spending just a few days with these awesome people, I am sick with a cold, and tired to the bone, but it's difficult not to come away with a refreshed mind, feeling less jaded by the industry and looking for ways to give back. Taking a page out of Josh Newton's playbook this year, I am definitely going to be looking for a passion project to work on. Something that'll keep my creativity fueled and hopefully give back somehow.
To see some cellphone pics from last week, check out my Facebook Album.

Here're a few behind-the-scenes and shoot photos from the week:








 


2 comments:

  1. I love this recap! It was lovely to meet you Melissa! I keep thinking about some of our conversations and start laughing all over again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! And I snore too, which was part of the reason why I roomed solo as well!

    ReplyDelete